McComb First Presbyterian Church 100 S. Church St.
Pastor Janeane Hopkins
Sunday Bible Study all ages 9:00 a.m.
Sunday Worship Service 10:00 a.m.
Wednesday Children's Choir Rehearsal 6:30 p.m.
Adult Choir Rehearsal 7:30 p.m.
The McComb Presbyterian Church is a small family church (85) seeking to serve Jesus Christ in the
community and the world. Our message and ministry is the proclamation that Jesus Christ is Lord, there is no other, and that in life and in death we belong to him.
We seek to honor and glorify God as we call people to meet Jesus, establish a relationship with him, and give their lives to him. We do this through worship, Christian fellowship, service, Bible study, and living lives acceptable to God through obedience to his Word. The life of obedience is a joy filled life.
Our worship style is quiet and orderly, using bells, organ, piano, choirs and congregational singing of various hymn styles and heritage. Children are welcome in worship and there are opportunities for them to participate in the service as well as have a time apart for children in worship in their own space.
History of our Church:
Rev. George Van Eman, pastor of Blanchard Church, began organizing the local church in 1849. Heworked under difficulties to complete organization, which he achieved in June 1854.
Rev. Emerson was the first regular pastor, serving from 1854 to 1859. The group first met in the schoolhouse. This stood where later Dr. Watson was to build his large brick residence; now the Fred Harmon home. Later services were held at the M.E. Church, and in 1856 a new church building was completed on the present site.
In 1896 the building was enlarged and equipped with electric lights.
The present building was remodeled and a dedication service was held on November 12, 1939. This improvement was made possible largely through a gift of the late Mr. and Mrs. Harrison Goudy.