The early maps of Hancock County show a town named Pleasantville. Maps printed a few years later, show another town on the Pleasantville site. McComb had taken its place.
Pleasantville was laid out by Benjamin Todd n the northeast corner of the west half of the northeast quarter of Section 26, in 1847. The plat consisting of 18 lots, was acknowledged Aug. 18, 1847, before Price Blackford, justice of the peace, and recorded Sept. 4, 1847 by John Adams, recorder.
Historical data reveal that another name preceded that od Pleasantville. When the town was first plotted out and the first buildings erected making it a trading center, it was known as Todd Town. The crocking of the frogs in the many ponds gave rise to the nickname "Toad Town". This name being displeasing to the citizens, was changed to Pleasantville. They now thought the "name trouble" was over, but, while still a pioneer town, through mail confusion, they discovered that Ohio had two Pleasantville's. The other town, being older, had priority claim. Again they must choose a name.
In searching for a new name, Elisha Fout, one of the town's early settlers, was counseled. Mr. Fout, a soldier of 1812, had fought at Pittsburg under the command of Gen. Macomb. He suggested naming the town after his old commander. The name was accepted. Mr. Fout was a Scotchman by birth and his way of spelling was McComb. The town was incorporated in 1858, when the name was changed to McComb. William Chapman was the first mayor.
In the 18 original lots were included those on both sides of Main St. from Todd to High St. and on the south side to the alley between the Darbyshire and Pendleton homes. This area is the Todd addition.
A Mr. Rawson, thinking the Continental Railroad would be built through McComb, the grading having been done, bought a plot of ground from George Allgire. This includes all lots from Todd St. west and is the Rawson addition.
During the boom days following the railroads, two brothers, Will and Charles Dimm, laid out Dimm Town. This includes the lots east of the bend of the North Main St. and east from the Church of Christ (on South St)
The Fishell addition was laid out along Perrin Ave. The Rotz addition has as its central street Cooper St. These, with the Ewing, Anderson and Allgire additions, make the town plat.
By 1872 McComb was a village of 350 to 400 inhabitants.